5 Questions with Desmond Milvenan
With a 20 year tenure in Austin real estate, luxury real estate agent Desmond Milvenan has experienced and successfully navigated the various market cycles this dynamic city has endured. Having been a member of the Platinum Top 50 Realtors, Who’s Who in Luxury Real Estate, Luxury League and the Elite 25®, Desmond is devoted to being an expert in the field.
We sat down with her to find out how her background, designations and memberships distinguish her and help her consistently find the best possible outcome for her clients
1. Prior to your 20 year career in real estate, you had a career in banking and experienced the boom and bust of the industry. How is this knowledge an asset to your clients?
The real estate market is always a cycle. Due to my banking experience, I’ve seen how to handle a deflated real estate market and had extensive experience with short sales and foreclosures. Sometimes that is the toughest period in somebody’s life – having to sell a home at a loss.
2. You raised three children in Austin while being a successful business woman. Tell us a little bit about where they are now and what you hope they learned from you as they watched your determination and work ethic.
I have 3 children. My oldest is a Captain in the Army. He has been accepted into the PHD Physics program at the University of Texas once he gets out of the Army. My daughter had been living in Santa Barbara for a number of years before she was recruited by a company that moved her to Austin. She is in software sales for Procore. My youngest is a senior at the University of Texas and plans to go to law school. I think my children learned about not only good work ethic but also about time management while watching my husband and I balance work and three very active children. They each played competitive sports, which meant a great deal of travel, games and practices. My husband and I really tried to make sure there was at least one parent at every event.
3. Tell us about a unique experience while showing homes.
While showing some ranch land to a client, we were walking the property when I saw a cow, or what I thought was a cow. By the time I saw the horns, it was already charging toward us. I yelled “RUN!” to my client and, luckily, we both made it back to the car. But the bull wasn’t done. He stayed there nose to window fogging up the glass and staring us down. My client was having a great time with it all.
4. Outside of raising a family and helping people with their real estate goals in Austin, you have given countless hours to the American Heart Association and charities related to women’s health. Tell us more about the work you’ve done and why you focus on this area of philanthropic work.
Dealing with my own heart issues, I realize how important it is for women to realize heart attacks don’t just happen to grumpy old men! I have told my story at a number of various events. I work with the American Heart Association to make sure that women know the signs and take care of themselves. As women, we tend to put everyone else first. More women die as a result of heart disease than all types of cancer combined.
5. You’re a huge advocate for the Austin lifestyle, but you also enjoy traveling with your family. What’s a bucket list trip you would recommend?
My motto is never turn down a trip! There are many, many places that are on my bucket list; however, more importantly are the memories and experiences from any trip.
©2017 Austin Portfolio Real Estate. All rights reserved.
This information, including square footage, while not guaranteed, has been acquired from sources believed to be reliable. Listings on this page identified as belonging to another listing firm are based upon data obtained from the Austin MLS, which data is copyrighted by the Austin Board of REALTORS©, but is not warranted.
Austin Portfolio Real Estate is proud to represent clients throughout every Austin neighborhood, including: Downtown, Tarrytown, Westlake, Bryker Woods, Deep Eddy Heights, Old Enfield, Pemberton Heights, The Drag, Belmont, Rosedale, Shoal Creek, Shoal Mont, Highland Park West, Rollingwood Estates, Old West Austin, Red River, West End, Central East Austin, Hyde Park, Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker, Barton's Bluff, Allandale, Rosewood, Sunset Valley, Comanche Canyon Ranch, Steiner Ranch